Following in the high octane tracks of last year’s hugely successful event, the nation’s army of gamers, puzzle pros and arcade gurus will descend on Manchester’s EventCity 11-12 October as the most action packed and utterly immersive gaming expo bursts into multi-player life.
Play Expo is a high tech-meets-retro-extravaganza set across five fantastic zones. The two day event will also pit amateur gamers against the best in the country as the Classic Gaming Championship finals reach their nail biting conclusion in a duel to the death on the main stage. Final heats will take place on Saturday with the Grand Final scheduled for Sunday, where the UK’s greatest retro gamer will be crowned.
Meanwhile, visitors can delve deep into the world of their favourite TV and film franchises, take the driving seat with exclusive sneak previews or be amongst the first in the country to sit at the controls of some of the UK’s hottest under the radar indie games titles.
“The all-encompassing Play Expo is unlike any other gaming event on the planet,” said Andy Brown (show co-organiser). “Whether reliving childhood favourites with the Expo’s unique haul of arcade collectables, getting up close and personal with authentic film props or taking to the main stage in a movie-worthy crafted costume, Play Expo is totally unique.”
“Now in our fifth year, we have developed five huge zones which we know hardcore gamers and enthusiastic amateurs alike will love and we have some truly outstanding concepts. Exclusive hardware, game launches, cult actors and characters from the best of TV and film franchises – think Doctor Who and Star Wars and then take it to a whole new level.”
Gamers can expect to immerse themselves in a clutch of no holds barred experiences at the show which was nominated for an MCV award earlier this year.
· screen.play: screen.play is a mash up of film and TV memorabilia, actors, props and games from the biggest and best shows and motion pictures to make the cross over to gaming and vice versa. This is a groundbreaking new addition for 2014 that will bring the country’s first true crossover of film and TV with gaming, allowing fans to play the game and then get up close and personal with the big screen version in real life.
· re.play: re.play at Play Expo is the biggest retro gaming event in Europe, offering both purists and casuals access to the widest collection of video game history ever seen in the UK. It brings together consoles and computers, arcade games and pinball machines with over 100 of each set to free play. Renew a childhood acquaintance with cult classics including Pacman, Outrun, Track & Field, Street Fighter 2, Gauntlet, Star Wars, Operation Wolf, Bubble Bobble and Donkey Kong.
· cos.play: A hot ticket for the most dedicated and creative gamers, anime and movie fans. cos.play will see super fans don costumes and props worthy of a Hollywood wardrobe department in tribute to their favourite characters from the world of video games, comics and films. cos.play will feature a range of costume competitions, parades and skits for pros and beginners, groups and singles alike.
· pro.play: Lock and load your controller with a host of free to enter prize tournaments across both retro and modern systems. Battle it out on games such as FIFA, Street Fighter, Mario Kart, Minecraft, Halo and many more or compete to become the king or queen retro gamer of the UK in the Classic Gaming Championships. In pro.play gamers can also show their mettle with pay-to-enter tournaments for cash prizes.
· now.play: Buckle up for a thrilling ride through cutting edge, not-yet-released games and hardware from the industry’s biggest names. Last year saw visitors trying the phenomenally successful Dark Souls II and Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag games ahead of their official launch as well as taking the Playstation 4 console for a spin six weeks before its release. This year’s line up promises to be no less exciting with major new titles and technology to be debuted.
With previous events supported by gaming giants such as Sony, Namco, Nintendo and Ubisoft, Play branded events are used as the proving ground for hotly anticipated new games months before they go on general sale. Play Expo 2014 is one not to be missed.