This past Wednesday was the release of the latest patch notes for Rare’s Sea of Thieves, these patch notes are usually hand in hand with the server maintenance. This is the second of the 3 week Cursed Sails event, where players will have the 3 week window to get their hands on some interesting loot, much like the limited time Hunger Deep event.
This weeks patch notes also come with the developer diary, which will also be linked below. Let is take a look at what the crew over at Rare have updated this week.
Pirate dominion over the waters is being challenged by crews of skeletons, united by their warped desire for vengeance on the living. Each region will be called out, so prepare to fight to protect your favourite Outposts! Form Alliances to share the rewards of co-operation, or perhaps the new three-person Brigantine ship will help to even the odds?
Follow banners on the Outposts to heed the skeleton crews’ call to battle, or speak to Duke in any tavern and investigate the source of this new skeletal threat!
Patch 1.2.1 also brings with it key performance improvements, crash fixes, additional fixes for other known issues and improvements based on community feedback.
Sea of Thieves Developer Update: August 8th 2018
- Cursed Sails Battle Times – Players who can only play during fixed times will be able to battle for a different region each week. For example, if this week your fixed playtime only allows you to encounter The Battle for the Shores of Plenty, next week you will encounter The Great Battle of the Ancient Isles during the same fixed playtime.
This change was made in response to community feedback.
- Cursed Sails Battle Encounter Indicator – Battle music can now be heard from greater distances. Additionally, the flow when UI banners appear and music plays has been improved.
- Cursed Sails Resources – Treasure items and Barrels of Plenty will now float for longer. This allows greater opportunity to find resources and treasures mid-battle.
- Cursed Sails Battle Cooldown – The timer between battles has been extended to give players a chance to collect loot dropped by defeating the skeleton crews.
- Cursed Sails Battle Despawn – The battle despawn timer has been increased, which will give sunk crews a greater chance to sail back and continue the battle they started.
- Skeleton Ship VFX – Improvements have been made to VFX of water splashes when skeleton ships emerge.
- Multiple server and client crash fixes.
Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
- Skeleton Forts have been re-enabled.
- Skeletons and animals now spawn as intended.
- Players fired from cannons will no longer occasionally travel in unintended directions.
- Firing yourself out of a cannon no longer causes muffled cannon audio to persist.
- Ship Liveries that change the colour of the ship’s hull now correctly change the colour of the capstan.
- Alliance join/leave/disband pop-ups now appear even when the player is in the Flag Box menu.
- The Brigantine’s missing bell has now been found and added.
- Players speaking to a Gold Hoarder NPC at an Outpost will no longer incorrectly receive “The Hungering Deep Begins” banners.
- The Kraken has been temporarily disabled due to performance issues.
We are working to enable this feature as quickly as possible.
- Items placed behind the barrels at the bow of the Brigantine cannot be picked back up.
- Merchant Alliance crates on board a ship which sinks will not float to the surface and cannot be picked up.
Download and Installation
Xbox One: 1.41GB
Xbox One X: 1.41GB
Windows 10: 1.09GB
XBOX INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
PC INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
For any more information on the Patch Notes, check out the official Sea Of Thieves Website.
You can also follow me on Twitter – @Cetrie